Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Drive By Birthday


πŸ€©πŸŽ‰πŸ€©πŸ¦πŸ€©πŸŽ‚
We went on a secret mission today. 

It took us 90 minutes to get there...we were filled with anticipation + she had no clue we were coming.

Our sweet granddaughter turned 5 today and we were not about to let this crazy virus stop us from celebrating with her!

We decided to do a Drive By Birthday!

We could have sent her gifts thru the mail.
We could have had them delivered by Amazon. 
We could have called thru Zoom or Skype.

But... we decided to be spontaneous + nothing compares to seeing the look on her face when she realized we were there...in person! Especially since this is her first birthday back home living in Minnesota!

Her natural instinct was to run into my arms...and within seconds,  she bolted full speed towards me and my heart leaped...and for a brief moment I forgot about the 'social distance' rules and was ready for her to leap into my arms...🀩

Just as quickly we all shifted gears and reminded her...:no hugs'! 😩

I quickly made it fun and said,  lets do "air hugs" and she giggled thru it! 

What a trooper.

We spent the next 1/2 hour standing in the chilly garage - all keeping our safe distance, as she played with her gifts and shared a few of her best stories...We were thrilled when our 1 year old grandson woke from his nap and we played a little peek a boo...

The cold air won and we knew it was time to head home...we waved goodbye,  blew a few kisses from across the yard and headed home...

Birthday Drive By was a success!

Our goal was to create a memory,  despite the corona chaos...Mission Accomplished!

On the drive home, it hit me hard...how much life had shifted in just a short time...we have been able to navigate and adjust as needed,  but...Its not ok for a 5 year old to try to understand all of this...heck...I can barely make sense of it all.

Today, when we should have been celebrating with all of our family,  playing games,  eating cake and squeezing our grandbabies...we couldn't.

Tonight,  my heart aches... because I know I can't fix this...and there is no quick resolution.

   So...after a really big ugly cry, I washed my face instead of wallowing,  I decided to share it here, because I know I am not the only one...

My answer...to turn my pain into prayer.

So...how can I pray for you?
















No comments:

Post a Comment